Monday, January 26, 2009

Early buds get the warm

Was out pruning back the forsythia by the front porch yesterday and noticed the buds are already starting to swell. When they do that, maybe even BEFORE they do that, it's possible to bring them in the house and put them in a watered vase to force a (very) early bloom. Until they do open up, though, they look exactly like what they are, a bunch of twisted twigs.

With some evergreen foliage - Oregon Grape or Camelia, for example - this can make a cozy winter fresh flower arrangement. Can't remember a time of my life when I wasn't aware of this little known fact. Not everyone was, however.

In fifth grade I brought a bunch of these to my teacher, Miss MacMillan, and spoke the equivalent of, "forsooth, the fair forsythia forya; put this fruit jar of water full of sticks on the heat register by the window and in a week or so you'll have a nice yellow bouquet". She was skeptical, maybe even a bit reluctant, but, probably not wanting to hurt my feelings, she did it.

It only took a few days. On Monday morning she was surprised and amazed. They were in full bloom. Should have had some greens in there, but I wasn't sophisticated then like I am now. Beyond thanking me for my thoughtfulness Miss MacMillan never said more to me about this. During teacher conferences, however, she related the whole incident, including her initial doubtfulness, to Ma. Pussywillows are next. Of course there aren't any pussywillows around here anymore.

P.S. You cannot force apples, no matter how hard you try.

No comments: