Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK wasn't the only one

I, too, had a dream. It was probably generated by a combination of writing the other day about my nefarious scooter activities and recent plotting and scheming how I can generate enough extra bucks in the new year to float a cash purchase of "Mike's Last Golden Truck". It seems (in this dream) that a couple of suits were canvassing Kennydale for someone to take over paper routes and had been told I used to be 'da man around here. Well, they had a deal for me: I could have the exact same route I delivered more than 50 years ago, except now I wouldn't have a little less than 200 customers; there would be just short of a 1000. Also...are you ready?...a scooter wouldn't do. I would need a TRUCK! Otherwise, everything would be th same. Told them I was gonna sleep on it (kyuk, kyuk) and if they could come up with some numbers for the big Trifecta today to sweeten the offer, I'd dream on. Never heard back.

For the record, in those days I was sort of reluctant to even get into the basically 24-7 paper delivery business but my dad , I believe , was anxious to restore the family's (somewhat) good name after truly skanky stuff Tiny had pulled when he had a route. So he encouraged me when Oan went on to greater things and gave up #5126. A second of three routes in the greater Kennydale area (#5128) soon became available and we came up with the plan to take it also and get a scooter like the three wheeled Cushmans that Boeing used for internal parts delivery at their plants. None were available, so we researched and ordered a new '57 Lambretta from Angle Lake Cyclery out on Hiway 99, south of Sea-Tac. The store is still there, I believe. We borrowed money from the bank and paid $50 or so monthly installments out of route earnings ($200+/mo. - pretty good in those days for a paperboy). My first new car purchase! The route(s) was 12 miles long and covered the area from north of Edmonds and east/south of Aberdeen to Devil's Elbow; to behind Kennydale School between what would later become 405 and Lk. WA Blvd; to most of the streets between Park and Burnett (104th and 100th SE then); to all Lk. Wash. Blvd and waterfront from what is now Gene Coulon Park north boundary to
Barbee Mill; to all of Park and Meadow (106th SE) and everything in between those avenues. A lot of work for Zip and me. If you think it was easy with the scooter, you'd be dreaming.

No comments: